Thursday, May 3, 2012

A Trip to the Tanning Beds

Well, we've been monitoring Parley's billiruben count since we left the hospital, and it kept rising at his pediatrician appointments Monday and Tuesday.  He wasn't doing so hot with his feedings--they were only lasting 5-10 minutes before he'd konk out, or he'd go for long stretches and just be too sleepy to eat, and he was looking pretty orange.  We were told he needed treatment back at the hospital, so directly after another (hormonally emotional) appointment, I picked up my still packed hospital bag and Jason dropped us off at the hospital again.  They hooked up Parley to some monitors and set him in a lighted incubator to help get all the biliruben out.  He would sun-bathe for 3 hours at a time, then I got to feed him and cuddle him for a half hour, and I could always reach inside and hold his hand.  The ladies there were so sweet and reminded me so much of mom.  I think about her being so kind to her patients and I so appreciate those terrific nurses who just make all the difference for a scared young mother.
Parley is doing better--his levels go down with each blood test and he's eating a little more and staying awake a little longer every time.  It was so hard to see him so lethargic, just so weak and dehydrated, and to have to watch him from outside his box.  But things are looking up!  I agree with my dad, that the birth was just so easy, there had to be a hiccup somewhere!

Through these birth and jaundice episodes, I've realized how much I rely on Jason and how wonderful he's been this week for me :) I'm just an emotional wreck, as I expected.  Crazy post-partum hormones.  Jason, thank you for supporting me and loving me and being our family rock this week.  Your hugs are my most favorite thing lately.  I'm so glad you've been home for us this week, and there to play super dad for Lincoln while I'm away.  I believe there is nothing we can't handle together.  With the two of us, our family will be strong and super :)

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

I am so sorry it's been a tough week for Parley and you. Adie was pretty close to needing some tanning, but we squeaked by. I do remember having to haul her back and forth from the hospital for tests though and that alone was so exhausting, without adding in all the sleep deprivation and post-partum hormonal roller coaster ride. I am glad you have Jason there too. You two can do anything together. Love you guys!