Thursday, March 17, 2011
Hurray! Done with sewing up the baby room! Cutest fabric ever, right? I just hope looking at all this food doesn't turn him into a junk food junkie.My machine does mini-embroidery! Neato, huh.
Thank you to Mom Millar for the stuffed caterpillar and the book! And thank you to Sew-Fisticated Fabrics in Cambridge--my new all time favorite fabric store.
Wednesday, March 16, 2011
For today's outing, me and the babe journeyed downtown to meet up Jason for lunch (and to show off his child to his co-workers)! Its "Restaurant Week", and several ritsy restaurants are doing specials on select menus. We tried out Umbria Prime, and I give it 5 stars. Also nice to see Jason during the daylight hours once in a while :) Lincoln wins the hearts of every female on the buses and subways, but if had a quarter for every time I hear, "Oh, what a pretty baby girl!" PS--he loves his new umbrella stroller! He's probably not supposed to be toted around in one till he can atleast sit up, but he's all about being able to sit upright and see what's going on better.
Friday, March 11, 2011
Wednesday, March 9, 2011
Tuesday, March 8, 2011
My amazing super-mom 2nd cousin, Natalie, was a bridesmaid in a wedding last weekend. A few months back they ordered dresses from a certain Chinese Tailor overseas, who specializes in making custom dresses out of a picture and measurements you send them. Problem: Three of the dresses arrived in the wrong color (pink instead of champagne), and all seven of the dresses had necklines too wide and low to cover garments. All seven of them live in different states, and one of them hadn't even gotten her dress from Hong Kong yet. With 3 weeks to go before the wedding, I got the call for help. Each of the bridesmaids sent me their dress, and I unpicked every piece of the pink dresses, cut out new pieces in champagne fabric matched to a sample the bride sent me, and sewed the new dresses together making alterations as needed. To the eggplant ones, I took off length from the hem to make the neckline trim. I added a little gathered tulle underneath each dress so they wouldn't be so flat and clingy, and re-made the fabric flowers at the waist.
It was a fun race, but I'm so glad its over! Happy wedding!
Monday, March 7, 2011
Friday, March 4, 2011
Now I'm not one to post lengthy blogs, but this is some story. I've been trying to settle the matters of getting my new sewing machine for the last 2 1/2 months. I've never had a problem with eBay, and I always make sure the sellers are top-rated with excellent feedback and a long history. I purchased through eBay because this $900 machine was being sold for roughly $300, new in box. That being said:
- Dec 19 Bid on my dream machine
- Dec 21 Lost bid, but the buyer fell through, so I was given 2nd chance offer
- Dec 22 Purchased machine, asked seller if she could hold it for a week, then send it straight to Boston since we were moving over the break
- Jan 02 Dropped off my old machine to my mom in exchange for money off my phone bill
- Jan 07 Still no machine, asked seller to send it, she said she's snowed in
- Jan 19 She asked if I had recieved the machine yet
- Jan 26 She realized she never sent it, and would get it out "Friday"
- Feb 02 Still no machine, she said she had a family matter come up and she would refund my money
- Feb 03 Purchased machine from seller #2
- Feb 08 Receive totally wrong machine model (a much cheaper, less advanced machine), sent an angry email
- Feb 09 Seller #2 said it was an honest mistake and told to send back the wrong machine, I said 'ya right' and held it hostage
- Feb 10 Seller #2 said she would send out the correct machine "Friday"
- Feb 15 Still hadn't recieved refund from Seller #1, filed a complaint
- Feb 16 Money refunded, but still no machine from Seller #2
- Feb 21 Opened a case with eBay to solve the problem
- Feb 28 Still no response from Seller #2, so eBay sent me a free shipping label to return the wrong machine and refunded my money, again
- Mar 01 Purchased the machine for the 3rd time from a non-eBay sewing machine store for $370, fine
(But meanwhile I had seven bridesmaids dresses to do up, so I was borrowing machines from sisters in the ward. The wedding was today, and that is a whole 'nother blog yet to come)
Mar 04 FINALLY opened the box of my brand new Singer Curvy 8770. Totally worth the wait and the time it took to save up for it. Here is why this is one incredible machine that I've had my eye on for, dare I say, years. In the half hour I've sewn on it tonight, I've wanted to weep over how superior it is to anything I've ever worked on before. I would liken it unto someone's first ride in a new car after getting around on a bike for the past decade.
Thursday, March 3, 2011
You can't tell, but my biceps are huge now from lugging him around. Huge.
And yes, Link is sporting the 9-month clothes now. Its so funny to me how we sit around at Mommy Club and compare our babies, and mine looks just the same size as all the 9-month little girls, who can sit up and feed themselves cheerios and are starting to crawl, and all my boy can do is lay on the floor. He can't even roll over! But he's only 4 months old!
Wednesday, March 2, 2011
He did it! The baby slept through the night! An entire 12 hours where I didn't see his cute little face crying for food! For the first time in 20 weeks, I got a solid uninterrupted 8 hours of sleep! Another much anticipated and celebrated milestone, if it lasts.
Sorry, I don't have any pictures of him sleeping to go along with this blog. But here is a very rested, happy baby!