Wednesday, October 1, 2008

While I sit in my classroom during P/T Conferences...

Happy October! We're getting married next month!! 51 days!! So I was a little not-looking-forward to Parent-Teacher-Conferences, but as I sit here talking and getting to know these parents of my precious little students, its turning out to be a very rewarding afternoon. Oh that little spark of warmth I get when every parent tells me how this is their student's all-time-favorite class, and how much they talk about the crazy things we do in class, and how they went home and cooked all of the recipies we made in class at home for their families! What a rewarding job, you know? Its so personal. Yes, exhausting and frustrating and low-paying, but how many accountants are thanked daily for their life's work? Gosh I love my job. My little minions ask me like everyday, "Are you married yet?", and they vote on which wedding annoucement I should choose, and we tell stories, and cook things, and sing songs about food-borne illnesses. We've already done so many fun things! Last week's highlights: We did a full 25-minute aerobic workout (me and my 33 teenage girls) when we were talking about ways to reduce stress, and then in our cooking unit, we put on a little restaurant, where everyone had a job and we served customers breadsticks and smoothies! Now we're on to sewing, which is not really my favorite to teach when I only have 10 machines in my room, but I love seeing these students succeed, even if its with a little drawstring bag. Hurry hurry hurry, so we can get to "Preschool Day", where everyone brings in a younger sibling and we practice good child care practices!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's so fun, Camille! You sound like such a dynamic teacher--like you're not stale yet from years of use. Odd though, that the girl who grew up with so many boys should do so well with little girls...

Allison said...

Hey Camille! You sound like a fantastic teacher! Although I must say I am not surpised! Your mom went over to my mom to look at my wedding and reception pics-I hope they help!!!